Should the Washington Redskins change it's team name?

kyle

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2007
Lake Country, British Columbia
PS Name
ely_lp
I was listening to a sports talk radio program and just heard that some more broadcast announcers will no longer call the Washington Redskins by full name, now they will just say Washington. I guess this is the era of PC (politically correctness) but if people are wanting the Redskins removed as it offends some people then where will this stop and what teams will be next on the hit list. I can see the Chicago Blackhawks being one of them. To be properly pc shouldn't the Dallas Cowboys be renamed to the Dallas Cowpersons?

So what do you think?

billybob

Nov 9, 2006
In the south!!!
I think changing the name is STUPID!!! Since football began this name has always been around and was never intended to degrade the Indians, Better change some other names also. Just a dam shame with the things screwed up in Washington this is even a concern.

wubders

Aug 17, 2010
If ya don't hard line the PC crap you will lose friends on facebook, don't ya know? lmao

curtinsea

Nov 11, 2008
Seattle
curtinsea.blogspot.com
I think its stupid to not change the name. Think about, as lame as the whole PC thing is, and as much as I object to being forced by mob mentality to conform and succumb to public pressure, what have you got to lose by making the name change? The team stands to lose revenue by holding a hard line, fighting for something that is really pretty lame in the first place.

It would be better to step up and say, "you know, you're right. let's make this right. and let's challenge some of these others as well."

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
Out in the Great Wide Open
PS Name
wabbit7
The team has been the Redskins for 82 years. For those who want to change the name...GET OVER IT!

Here's a bistro in VT which took down a sign with the word Bacon on it because one Muslim woman found it offensive. WTF! American citizens are giving up the country to extreme minorities. Whatever happened to the needs of the majority? Meanwhile our country continues in a downward spiral.

http://www.libertynews.com/2014/08/...d-bacon-sign-now-vanishing-from-social-media/

billybob

Nov 9, 2006
In the south!!!
Sort of like the Ole Miss Rebels in college, they did away with the Colonel mascot because it might offend some one, just dam stupid!!! Seems like Kentucky fried chicken still has the colonel.

billynomates

Nov 8, 2006
Cardiff Wales
Think of overseas! we know them as the redskins or the 'skins. In Europe don't expect teams to change city or names. It's a team name -all races who play there don't object so who's objecting?

billynomates

Nov 8, 2006
Cardiff Wales
bet there's not that many Americans offended! (Oh you refer to them as native Americans) why? That makes them different- they are Americans- you are immigrants!

Nynus

Oct 30, 2006
Las Vegas
If Daniel Snyder wants to keep the Redskins name, and he's willing to risk the financial consequences, then he should.

Personally, I don't think he should change the name, and I don't think keeping the name will lose Snyder much income. What's next? The PC police demanding that the Houston Texans change their name because Texans are mostly Republican? Thin-skinned-pansy-ass-politically-correct-non-contact-pacifist-assholes don't watch football anyways. Let 'em bitch and moan.

wubders

Aug 17, 2010
The USA has been sliding down this slippery slope of freedom eroding PC BS for at least couple decades with many smaller teams with less available resources for either the legal battle or payoff caving in quickly. The FSU Seminoles reached some agreement that involves money, I think.

I say keep the name, but change the logo and mascot to some red skinned mythical creature and fight for the name in court.

trauma

I think the whole thing is retarded!
Yes I used the word Retarded I am NOT being PC so sue me!
If this were a new franchise I would agree and say yea that name is not appropriate pick another. They have been the Redskins for 80+ years a little too late
to be making name changes now. Seriously no matter what they change the name to most of us will continue to call them the Redskins anyway.

The money wasted on this whole issue could have been used by the Indian Health Services to do sooooo much good instead we have this ridiculousness!

Just my :twocents:

Sharkie71

May 30, 2014
Christchurch, New Zealand
PS Name
Sharkie71
Like many I can't see the point in changing a team's name for the sake of a few narrow minded people.
Hell our national team is called the All Blacks & when conceived it wasn't done with any prejudice nor does it hold any now.
I'm sure the person or persons naming the Redskin's back in the day did so as above without prejudice in mind
Personally I like the our national team's name, The All Black's sounds kinda dark, foreboding and when our boys do the Haka dressed all in Black it's imposing to any visiting team...God help anyone who would want to change our team name.
Those wanting to change the Redskins name should rather embrace it for what it is...A team name
That it hold's prejudice for but a few should never come into thought.

billybob

Nov 9, 2006
In the south!!!
Well, I read where the Government will get involved, like they handle everything else so well. Pressure is being put on Fred Smith also. What a f****** shame!!!! You know we are slowly going down in crap, breaks my heart to see where this country is headed after so many died making it what it is,