Time to go :)

Zuluwarrior

Feb 9, 2012
Umkomaas
PS Name
gandi248 or dugnyboy when in France
Well its just the packing day tomorrow then its off on the annual hols, carp fishing, Chateau hunting, sampling local wines and cuisine and not to mention just the lazing about for three wonderful weeks in the Loire valley, France. We stay just outside a very small village called Onzain and have been going there now for 8 years, where we stay has its own carp lake and that to me is my heaven, fishing early mornings and late into the evenings

thelake-1_zps6c6fa1af.png

spending the days out and about visiting and site seeing....so you guys and dolls have fun and good fortune in the games, doubt very much if I will play any poker as France has strict gambling laws preventing access to certain sites I play on. I will post the odd pic or two.......

Puissiez-vous être bénis tous avec de la chance et de la santé :)

StevieJS

Sweet Ass
Nov 2, 2006
Melbourne
Nice bit of kit there.. Not sure why carp are so highly prized in Europe though. Over here mud marlins are despised vermin, and it is illegal to return them to the water. All the same, have a great holiday Bryan :)

Zuluwarrior

Feb 9, 2012
Umkomaas
PS Name
Nice bit of kit there.. Not sure why carp are so highly prized in Europe though. Over here mud marlins are despised vermin, and it is illegal to return them to the water. All the same, have a great holiday Bryan :)

Not sure myself Stevie lol but I find it thrilling to catch the feckers and the fight to get them banked and the French actually eat these fish ugh I take it mud marlins are what we call carp?

This one is a mirror carp about 16kgs....

Mirrorcarp_zpsdd84182e.png

StevieJS

Sweet Ass
Nov 2, 2006
Melbourne
Yes mate, we call the vermin mud marlins lol.... We can catch those things around that size and larger at a small lake nearby.. Question, do you use corn? bread.? maggots?, hair rigged bait bombs?

kansasgirl21

May 18, 2011
kansas
PS Name
pixieelf
never heard 'em called mud marlins...here in kansas they are known as "shit eaters" & yes they do put up a good fight & some do eat 'em....yuck lol
have a glorious vacation ! ;)

Zuluwarrior

Feb 9, 2012
Umkomaas
PS Name
Dunno what you mean [MENTION=76]StevieJS[/MENTION] regards hair rigged bait bombs probably what we call using boilies, thats flavoured balls about 20mm on a hair rig, caught my first mirror carp last evening 14.6kgs which is 31 lbs then a small one 16lbs. Not sure why you would call them 'shit eaters' [MENTION=2641]kansasgirl21[/MENTION] as these here are real choosy in what they eat and are hard to catch ;) Well I am out now for another session down at the lake, soak up some sun and down a few cold beers..............

Zuluwarrior

Feb 9, 2012
Umkomaas
PS Name
Hi there, well despite the names of the carp I have so far had some monsters and lost a few too lol thems the fisherman's tales of the ones that got away hehe, sadly I left all the cables for the camera and phone at home in the excitement of getting away so wont be any pics till later. First week is over and although the weather aint perfect its good enough to be able to relax without any hassle. Been out on a few excursions to chateaux and markets, a couple of Plat de Jour's with some wine :)..........laters

Zuluwarrior

Feb 9, 2012
Umkomaas
PS Name
Fantastic days fishing :) in total 26 fish...2 huge Carp, 4 medium Tench and 20 Roach 1/2 to 1.5 lbs on the float :)

wubders

Aug 17, 2010
Carp species are somewhat varied , that have regional demand for human food worldwide(they eat the shit outta them in China and Viet Nam ,etc.) Some in US will only eat one type rejecting the invasive asian type, even though its less of a "sucker" They start as minnows that are important to aquatic food chains and goldfish are one. Basically the less they feed on the bottom the better they taste, although all are boney so are usually chopped into smaller pieces and scored to ensure small bones are fried. Some people will only eat them while drinking some cold cheap beer at a fish fry in US. Because they are low on the food chain mercury is not a concern. They have the special pay ponds to fish for a couple of the better species in US.

Last edited:

Zuluwarrior

Feb 9, 2012
Umkomaas
PS Name
Well back home now and into the routine and can show a few pics of where we went other than the lake :)

Chambord was born from the dream of King François I who brought back from his battles in Italy numerous artists, such as Leonardo da Vinci. The king enjoyed retiring to the Château of Chambord in order to indulge in his favourite sport of hunting. One of the larger Chteaux of France its architecture is phenomenal!!

Chambord_zps5f005bfe.png

Brissac tells the story of a family which never left its native land of Anjou. Since the time of René de Cossé, the first lord of the castle in the early 16C, more than 20 generations have succeeded one another, taking pride in protecting and embellishing the château, adding to its collections and maintaining its decor. The castle is now the residence of the 13th Duke of Brissac.

Brissactwo_zps86777512.png

The Château of Azay-le-Rideau is situated in the Centre Val de Loire region. It was built on an island on the River Indre by a wealthy financier, Gilles Berthelot, during the reign of François I. Its purpose was to reconcile innovations coming from Italy with the French art of construction.

AzayleRideau_zps44d7716a.png

The beds of the chateaux were one of the interesting things to see, most were tiny as the royalty were such small individuals, a story is that they never slept laying down and sat up to sleep, laying down was considered below their status. Most of the walls had genuine tapestry's completly covering the walls. Some ornaments and trinkets had to be seen to be belived. And the ceilings just awesome.

bed2_zps19b0356e.png

ceiling_zps220715e4.png

bed1_zpsb66a153e.png

display1_zpsee44a098.png

The porcelain crockery fasinated me, such detailed design and craftmenship..each chateaux having its own unique detail

display2_zps0b25fd0e.png

display3_zps8f85c3e8.png

This is the chapel of Chateau Azay le Rideau, so small but with exquisite details

chapelatchenenceau_zpsaa9b5786.png

Just a few pictures of the many taken of some of the Chateaux visited on this holiday, we can never tire of visiting them as there is so mch to see and in some areas it takes some thought to think just how they brought in all the stone and constructed these elaborate buildings :) And the skill of the stonemasons beggers belief!!