What was the last movie you watched?

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
Out in the Great Wide Open
PS Name
wabbit7
The Rental :star::star: and a half:star:
Two Oregon couples (four actors I never heard of previously) rent a vacation home (beautiful house and grand ocean front property) for what should be a celebratory weekend get-away. An almost interesting story, but probably not worth the 88 mins it takes to watch it.

image.jpeg

Reactions: WinJStar

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
I Care A lot. Didn't think I would like this and i did. Dark. Good. Great cast.

I didn't understand how Rosamund Pike won the Golden Globe, but I get it now. She was fantastic.
I reviewed I Care A lot in the Netflix thread. I have only seen one of the eight noms for Best Picture...you have seen several...which one do you think has the inside track to win the Oscar?

WinJStar

Owner
Staff member
Oct 27, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
www.facebook.com
PS Name
WinJStar
To be honest I think it was a shitty year. I mean obv, so many were held over for the box office to reopen. Lots of movies collecting dust who were intended for 2020.

Nomadland is the front runner. I'm a fan of Frances Mcdormand, but it bored me a bit. That being said, they used very few real actors and actually used the land and Nomads. Kind of a cool story. Is it Oscar worthy? Maybe in this year it might be. Frances I think is Oscar bait.

Top 3 picks would be Minari, Nomadland and Judas and the Black Messiah. I have not seen Judas. They say its exceptional. I am just not in the mood. If you've seen it, please tell me your thoughts,

Best actress is tough for me. Although I didn't love any of the films, the ladies knocked it out of the park, Viola is awesome in everything, Frances is brilliant, Carey Mulligan was outstanding (I mean seriously), Andra Day won at the Globes (I saw Billie Holiday, I was so bored, but she was awesome) and finally - hated the movie (very depressing), but Vanessa Kirby was really great in Pieces of a Woman. This is the toughest category I think. Guessing one of the first two I mentioned,.

Best Actor - I hope its Chadwick, not because he was so brilliant in Ma Rainey, which he was, but almost for an award in courage and body of work in such a short time. No stars death shocked me more, I didn't know he was even sick. I haven't seen The Father, but I understand Anthony Hopkins is worthy and I can't wait to see that film. I also though Riz was great in Sound of Metal, but he perhaps might just have to be proud of his nomination in this case. Tough one.

Best Supporting - Probably Daniel Kuluuya.

Best supporting actress - hmmm. I love Olivia Colemans speeches, so I hope she wins for entertainment value! Yuh-jungg was great in Minari and I think she should win, but it would be an upset if she won in my opinion. Hillbilly Elegy I just didn't like, but Glenn Close was great. She may have a shot.

I have not seen Mank, no desire to, but it fascinates me.

Hahaha, sorry you asked?

I follow this guy who does a great breakdown every year. His name is Scott Feinberg. He nails it. I don't think he has broken it down yet. I'll share when he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: wabbit

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Yo Jen, you know I always enjoy and appreciate your input.<3

Here is what Scott predicted on3/9 and the following preceded the official list of nominees. It is only a partial list, but all of his predictions are available on hollywoodreporter.com

*BEST PICTURE*
Frontrunners
Nomadland (Searchlight)
The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
Minari (A24)
Promising Young Woman (Focus)
Mank (Netflix)
The Father (Sony Classics)
Sound of Metal (Amazon)
One Night in Miami (Amazon)
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Netflix)
Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Amazon)

Major Threats
Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)
News of the World (Universal)
Soul (Pixar)
Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)

Possibilities
Palm Springs (Hulu/Neon)
Tenet (Warner Bros.)
The Mauritanian (STX)

Long Shots
Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Focus)
Another Round (Samuel Goldwyn)
First Cow (A24)

*BEST DIRECTOR*

Frontrunners
Chloé Zhao (Nomadland)
David Fincher (Mank)
Aaron Sorkin (The Trial of the Chicago 7) — podcast
Lee Isaac Chung (Minari)
Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman)

Major Threats
Spike Lee (Da 5 Bloods) — podcast
Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)
Regina King (One Night in Miami) — podcast
Florian Zeller (The Father)

Possibilities
Shaka King (Judas and the Black Messiah)
Paul Greengrass (News of the World) — podcast
Christopher Nolan (Tenet)

Long Shots
George C. Wolfe (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)
Thomas Vinterberg (Another Round)
Kelly Reichardt (First Cow)

*BEST ACTOR*

Frontrunners
Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom) — podcast
Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal) — podcast
Anthony Hopkins (The Father) — podcast
Gary Oldman (Mank) — podcast
Ben Affleck (The Way Back) — podcast

Major Threats
Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods) — podcast
Steven Yeun (Minari) — podcast
Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm) — podcast
Tom Hanks (News of the World) — podcast [one and two]

Possibilities
Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)
LaKeith Stanfield (Judas and the Black Messiah)
Tahar Rahim (The Mauritanian)

Long Shots
John David Washington (Malcolm & Marie)
Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami)
Adarsh Gourav (The White Tiger)

*BEST ACTRESS*

Frontrunners
Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman) — podcast
Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)
Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)
Andra Day (The United States vs. Billie Holiday) — podcast

Major Threats
Sophia Loren (The Life Ahead) — podcast
Zendaya (Malcolm & Marie) — podcast
Yeri Han (Minari)
Radha Blank (The 40-Year-Old Version)

Possibilities
Amy Adams (Hillbilly Elegy) — podcast
Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
Kate Winslet (Ammonite) — podcast [one and two]

Long Shots
Julia Garner (The Assistant) — podcast
Michelle Pfeiffer (French Exit) — podcast
Meryl Streep (Let Them All Talk) — podcast

*BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR*

Frontrunners
Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)
Leslie Odom Jr. (One Night in Miami) — podcast
Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of the Chicago 7) — podcast
Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
David Strathairn (Nomadland)

Major Threats
Chadwick Boseman (Da 5 Bloods) — podcast
Jared Leto (The Little Things)
Alan Kim (Minari)
Frank Langella (The Trial of the Chicago 7)

Possibilities
Aldis Hodge (One Night in Miami)
Bill Murray (On the Rocks)
Bo Burnham (Promising Young Woman) — podcast
Mark Rylance (The Trial of the Chicago 7)

Long Shots
Glynn Turman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)
Colman Domingo (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)
Will Patton (Minari)

*BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS*

Frontrunners
Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)
Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elegy) — podcast
Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)
Olivia Colman (The Father) — podcast
Amanda Seyfried (Mank) — podcast

Major Threats
Jodie Foster (The Mauritanian) — podcast
Helena Zengel (News of the World)
Ellen Burstyn (Pieces of a Woman)

Possibilities
Dominique Fishback (Judas and the Black Messiah)
Olivia Cooke (Sound of Metal)

Long Shots
Talia Ryder (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
Saoirse Ronan (Ammonite) — podcast

WinJStar

Owner
Staff member
Oct 27, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
www.facebook.com
PS Name
WinJStar
I saw that quickly, but was confused. There was no commentary and its just a list of nominations. Didn't really think it was in any sort of order.

Did you watch Borat? I was not a fan of the first, didn't bother with the second.Too silly for me, but people LOVE it.

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
I saw that quickly, but was confused. There was no commentary and its just a list of nominations. Didn't really think it was in any sort of order.

Did you watch Borat? I was not a fan of the first, didn't bother with the second.Too silly for me, but people LOVE it.
I expect Scott will come out with an update since the noms are now official. Not fond of Sacha Baron Cohen's style of humor and other than a couple of films in which he had bit parts I have never seen him in a starring role.

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Here is Scott's latest from 3/19:

PLEASE NOTE: This forecast, assembled by The Hollywood Reporter's awards columnist Scott Feinberg, reflects his best attempt to predict the behavior of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, not his personal preferences. He arrives at these standings by drawing upon consultations with voters and strategists, analysis of marketing and campaigns, results of awards that precede the Oscars and the history of the Oscars itself. There will be regular updates to reflect new developments.

*BEST PICTURE*

1. Nomadland (Searchlight)
2. Promising Young Woman (Focus)
3. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
4. Minari (A24)
5. Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)
6. Mank (Netflix)
7. Sound of Metal (Amazon)
8. The Father (Sony Classics)

*BEST DIRECTOR*

1. Chloé Zhao, Nomadland
2. Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
3. David Fincher, Mank
4. Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
5. Thomas Vinterberg, Another Round

*BEST ACTOR*

1. Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
2. Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
3. Anthony Hopkins, The Father
4. Gary Oldman, Mank
5. Steven Yeun, Minari

*BEST ACTRESS*

1. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
2. Frances McDormand, Nomadland
3. Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday
4. Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
5. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

*BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR*

1. Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
2. Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
3. Paul Raci, Sound of Metal
4. Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami
5. LaKeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah

*BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS*

1. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
2. Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
3. Youn Yuh-jung, Minari
4. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
5. Olivia Colman, The Father

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Tesla :star::star::star:
Low-budget indie...several scenes were shot with still pics or paintings in the background vs. live action. Ethan Hawke played a good Nikola Tesla. Anne Morgan, daughter of J.P. Morgan was played by Eve Hewson who also was in Behind Her Eyes and The Luminaries recently. I found the flick interesting from a historical standpoint. I know much more about Tesla's life and inventions.
image.jpeg

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Let Him Go :star::star::star:
Entertaining story of a retired sheriff (Kevin Costner) and his wife (Diane Lane) who follow their deceased son's wife and grandson to the middle of nowhere in ND in an attempt to get them to return to their ranch.

image.jpeg

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Shock And Awe :star::star::star:
I missed this 2017 release of a mostly true portrayal of Knight-Ridder news service coverage of the events leading up to the search for WMDs in Iraq following the attack on the WTC on 9/11. Rob Reiner directed and starred with Woody Harrelson, James Marsden and Tommy Lee Jones.

image.jpeg

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Without Remorse :star::star::star: (Amazon Original)
Screenplay based on Tom Clancy's book about a former Navy SEAL turned CIA operative (Michael B. Jordan) who seeks revenge after his girlfriend is killed by a Baltimore drug lord with ties to Russia.

withoutremorse.jpg

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
Things Heard & Seen :star::star: and a half:star:
Just another near-supernatural flick in which a family moves into an old house and then things to go South. No need to waste time on this one unless you are an Amanda Seyfried devotee.

WinJStar

Owner
Staff member
Oct 27, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
www.facebook.com
PS Name
WinJStar
Things Heard & Seen :star::star: and a half:star:
Just another near-supernatural flick in which a family moves into an old house and then things to go South. No need to waste time on this one unless you are an Amanda Seyfried devotee.
So, I loved this movie up until the last 20 min. What a waste! Like seriously, wtf.

Saw The Woman in the WIndow also on Netflix. Think my standards are getting lower, such a low bar this past year. I liked it! It has a great supporting cast of Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman and Wyatt Russel. Amy Adams has top billing so it was a pleasant surprise when they popped up.

Speaking of Gary Oldman, we watched Crisis last week. Pretty good. Keep an eye out. Just another whistleblower film about big pharma. The whole movie I was trying to connect these two plot lines and even at the end, I never really was able to. Think I was looking for a connection that wasn't there. Think this was intended to be a big movie, but it costars Armie Hammer. Never have I seen anyone blow up a career so fast.

wabbit

Nov 1, 2006
PS Name
wabbit7
So, I loved this movie up until the last 20 min. What a waste! Like seriously, wtf.

Saw The Woman in the WIndow also on Netflix. Think my standards are getting lower, such a low bar this past year. I liked it! It has a great supporting cast of Julianne Moore, Gary Oldman and Wyatt Russel. Amy Adams has top billing so it was a pleasant surprise when they popped up.

Speaking of Gary Oldman, we watched Crisis last week. Pretty good. Keep an eye out. Just another whistleblower film about big pharma. The whole movie I was trying to connect these two plot lines and even at the end, I never really was able to. Think I was looking for a connection that wasn't there. Think this was intended to be a big movie, but it costars Armie Hammer. Never have I seen anyone blow up a career so fast.
Thanks for the heads up...Anita has been wanting to see The Woman In the Window. I enjoy watching Gary and will definitely check out Crisis.

WinJStar

Owner
Staff member
Oct 27, 2006
Las Vegas, Nevada
www.facebook.com
PS Name
WinJStar
Those Who Wish Me Dead.

I'm an Angelina fan. I think shes gorgeous and talented. I also loved this movie. It felt like something I'd pay for and go to see at the movies. Mindless action. Its not brilliant, but well produced, typical assassins chasing hot chick ;)